Monday, June 16, 2008

Anniversary Adventure Weekend

We're baaaack! We had a great time in Austin this weekend- thanks to my mom and dad for keeping the kids, and to "hotel Leslie" for the fabulous accomodations! (More on the sorry Mountain Star Lodge later- DO NOT STAY THERE!) We set out Thursday morning and stopped at the Round Rock Premium Outlets for a little shopping. There were some great bargains on clothes for the kids, and I got two Calphalon santoku knives (which I had been wanting) for $9.99 each! We ate at Fuddruckers for lunch, and then headed out to Lake Travis to deal with the hotel fiasco. We met up with Leslie and her friend, Ashlin, at Freddie's place for drinks- (a kid and dog friendly restaurant with live music out back...so Austin!) Then Steve and I went to the Oasis for dinner. I love the Oasis! How can you beat the combination of Mexican food and this sunset??

Friday morning, we went to the Lakeway marina and rented a waverunner for 2 hours. We rode around the lake and swam, then went to Carlos 'N Charlie's for lunch.
While we were waiting for our food, we picked up a local magazine and read about Cypress Valley Canopy Tours. How fun! We decided to make a reservation for Saturday! Then, we headed back to Leslie's apartment for a swim and to get cleaned up for dinner. On the way, Steve spotted a place that said "Olde World Furniture", so we stopped in to see what they had. Hello, new kitchen table and 6 chairs for the bargain price of the century!! Just try to guess how much we paid for this solid wood, handcrafted table and chairs...
We made reservations for 8:00p.m. Friday at Carmelo's Italian Restaurant. Nine years and 364 days before, we had our rehearsal dinner at Carmelo's in Houston. Both meals were fantastic! Complete with an accordian player and everything!
We both had a summer salad:
Fresh torn lettuce, apples, strawberries, pears, Blue Cheese and honey spiced pecans with a citrus honey dressing and olive oil...mmmm! I had the Pollo parmigiana and Steve had the Pollo Carmelo. So good! After dinner, we met up with Leslie and fought the million motorcycle ROT Rally traffic to get to Six (Lance Armstrong's bar). We sat on the roof and I tried a cosmopolitan. I know I am about eight or ten years late, but I have just recently gotten into Sex and the City, and after seeing the movie (with my mom, no less!) I had to try a cosmo! Pretty tasty for a martini! (Notice my pretty necklace from James Avery that Steve gave me for our anniversary!)
Saturday morning we went to a few furniture stores and then heard that Barton Creek Country Club was selling some of their old furniture. We took a drive out there, but didn't find anything we couldn't live without. We stopped at Panera Bread for lunch. Around 3:15, we headed to our zip line place. There were 8 of us and 2 guides. We went on about 6 zip lines through the tops of these huge cypress trees over a creek bed. It was pretty and we had a lot of fun! They even have a tree house that you can stay in overnight called the "lofthaven". I don't know that I'd do that, but I'd definitely do the zip lines again! Maybe when the kids are old enough to go, we'll go back. After the tour, we went back to Leslie's for a swim, then went out to dinner. Got back to Waco Sunday morning and reunited with the kids for Father's Day (Mimi and Pa had driven them back from Houston).
What a great weekend packed full of stuff we couldn't have done with the kids! Our "Anniversary Adventure" weekend in beautiful Austin, Texas. (Of course we are thrilled to have the kids back...it was kinda boring without them!)

2 comments:

Julie Adams said...

Lisa, You and Steve are setting the standard for a anniversary getaway. I am going to have to make sure Chad reads about your weekend in Austin. It sounds so nice. I also love the table.

Leeser said...

Oh yeah, the answer to the table question...$350- for all 7 pieces! What a deal!