Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Meet Virginia

Steve's grandmother passed away last Friday and was buried today in Omaha, Nebraska. She was 88 years old, and a truly amazing woman! Virginia Hope Cram was born 12/26/1919, married Harold Hultman on 8/23/1940, and was the mother of four children (Steve's mom was second oldest). I first met her 11 years ago, and I loved her instantly! She was a small, frail woman and her hands and voice trembled significantly due to essential tremor, but she was very strong and independent! She and Harold lived in a retirement community in Arkansas at the time, and I remember watching in awe as she used both hands to carefully guide her shaky fork to her mouth at dinner, or water her many plants and flowers around the house. She loved to garden! She was a pleasure to talk to and listen to, and she had an amazing faith in God- not one to preach, but you just knew being around her! We took the kids to visit in 2003 after Christmas, and the extended family was all there. Virginia had broken her arm trying to make up one of the beds for guests. She was determined to get things done and take care of everyone! I never heard her complain about her health or situation, she just kept going the best she could. This picture was the first time she held Lauren! When Harold passed away in 2005, she was just a pillar of strength- running the show and keeping everyone on their toes. She agreed to move back to Omaha shortly afterwards to be closer to her two sons, and has been living in an assisted living/nursing home facility since. We sent pictures and tried to call and keep in touch the best we could, and I know the family in the area visited often and took her on outings regularly. She died peacefully and I KNOW that she is now reuniting with Harold in Heaven!! We have a picture hanging in our kitchen that she gave us when she moved from Arkansas to Omaha. It is a Charles Burton Barber called "Suspense" and shows a little girl praying over her breakfast in bed with her pets anxiously awaiting the "amen". I think of Virginia every time I look at that picture! I will really miss her, but I'm so thankful I had the chance to know her, and I know that we will see her again someday!

1 comment:

Julie Adams said...

I am so sorry for you loss. It looks like you have some wonderful memories of her that you will have forever.